Monday, December 3, 2007

15 minutes of flight

5 May 2006 1:25 PM. RVP
1 male NG; over Scimitar Ridge. The bird was soaring and came eastward, then went northward, toward Fidalgo Bay. EOB= 500-800 feet, and was yet in the air when I walked away. The bird was well out of naked eye range, so at times I was viewing the bird at over 1 mile away. I returned to the site 10 minutes later, and saw a mature female NG, with a large area of white, under tail coverts. The bird was flying at slow speed; leisurely flapping. the bird had long, lanky wings, very similar to a Harrier. OT= about 5 minutes. The bird went down, and at same elevation appeared the male NG; F-G, and S. The male had a dark dorsal area. OT= 5 minutes. The female had buffy under body - I did not see the under wing. I also did not see the ventral area, with enough direct sunlight, to say if the bird was the remarkable female I saw in February 2005.

No comments: